Originally posted: March 2008
(Recipe from San Remo Lasagna box)
- 250g San Remo Instant Lasagna sheets (depending on size of pan you use, you might need more or less sheets)
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (I omitted this)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped (I used more cause I love garlic!)
- 500g beef mince (I used 300g)
- 5 tbsp tomato paste (I used 400g)
- 2 x 400g canned tomatoes (I used the diced ones)
- 2 cups chicken stock (I made it using 2 cups hot water and 1 tsp chicken granules)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 125g mozzarella cheese or cheddar (a mixture of red and white cheddar works best)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Meat sauce: Heat oil in saucepan. Fry onion, carrot and garlic and cook till soft. Add beef and cook till brown. Stir in tomato paste, canned tomatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and cook gently (over low heat) for 20 mins.
- Cheese sauce: In separate saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook for about 2 mins over gentle heat. Remove from heat and stir in milk. Return to heat, stir until thick and smooth. Season with salt and pepper and add mozzarella or cheddar cheese stirring over low heat until cheese melts.
- Assembly: Pour about 1/2 cup of meat sauce into a lightly greased baking dish (try and choose something rectangular and deep). Alternate layers of lasagna, meat and cheese sauces, ending with cheese sauce layer (about 4 layers). Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese (or cheddar/mozzarella) (I used all 3 cheeses). Ensure that the lasagna sheets are fully submerged in the sauce and there is ample liquid.
- Bake for 35-40 min or until cooked through. Let it stand for about 5 min before serving.