Originally posted: Feb 2008
1st attempt was for my 21st birthday lunch.
My comments are in brackets at the side.
Cauliflower with Cheese Sauce
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional, really)(I used mixed dried herbs)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese(It’s nicer if you get like a red cheddar mixed with normal cheddar, gives it a nicer flavor)
- Paprika (optional, add a touch of cayanne pepper for some heat)
- Minced fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, cauliflower and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-15 minutes or until cauliflower is crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and thyme until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Drain and pat cauliflower dry; place on a serving platter. Top with cheese sauce; sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Cut into wedges.