Originally posted: Feb 2011
I love corn! It’s probably the nth time I’ve mentioned that. One of my corny goals is to go to the Momofuku Milk Bar in NYC and eat the corn cookie. Hopefully that can happen this year. Till then I’ve been trawling the web looking for corn cookie recipes. Unfortunately, no corn cookies from Momofuku yet. Only the blueberry and milk one and compost cookie recipes are online. I chanced upon this cornmeal cookie recipe and decided to give it a shot since I had all the ingredients on hand and was frustrated with the wonky internet in my house. Stress and frustration = me cooking. They were relatively easy to make but turned out funny. I followed the recipe to a T and my cookie bottoms still browned faster than the tops. Perhaps they were too thin or my oven was too hot. I’m going with the first assumption. These aren’t my favourite cookies because I do find them a tad too sweet but they aren’t too bad and are a nice reprieve from the normal chocolate chip cookie.
Cornmeal Sugar Cookies
(taken from here)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and salt.
- Blend butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and zest in a food processor until creamy, about 30 seconds. Scrape down side of bowl, then add all of the flour mixture and pulse until dough just begins to come together.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Using an small ice cream scoop (one that holds about 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoon), arrange cookies on baking sheet, about two inches apart. Using the bottom of a drinking glass or the palm of your hand, flatten cookies to about 1/3 inch thick. Sprinkle tops with granulated sugar.
- Bake until undersides are pale golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Update: There is something wrong with my oven so perhaps I’ll try these again using another oven.