Originally posted: May 2008
rich, moist and has just the right umph (however you spell it).
wonderful with ganache or chocolate frosting.
Deep, Dark, Chocolate Cupcakes
(Recipe from Elaine Cohen’s book Super-Duper Cupcakes)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) (about 170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Adjust oven rack to center position, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 Celsius
- Line muffin pans with baking cup liners.
- Put cocoa in small bowl, add hot water and mix until smooth. Cool to room temperature and stir in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium-high speed till smooth and shiny, about 15 seconds. Add in the eggs and beat until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- With mixer on lowest speed, add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients (ie. flour mixture) to the batter, followed by about 1/3 of the cocoa mixture. Mix until ingredients are fully incorporated. Repeat process 2 more times. Mix batter well until it looks satiny.
- Pour batter into muffin cups so that each cup is about 80% full. Bake cupcakes about 17-20 minutes depending on cupcake size. Mine took almost 30 minutes.
- Once done (check with toothpick, it should come out clean), transfer cupcakes to cooling rack and cool for about an hour before frosting.