Originally posted: Feb 2011
Yes Nigella, you have a very special place in my heart (though your pizza crust recipe got dethroned). I love these fairy cakes – easy and yummy. The only boo boo I make (at times) is forgetting to use self-raising flour and using all-purpose instead. And I always find out at the last moment before I pop these babies into the oven. Argh!
This recipe is also great because you can plop just about anything into these cupcakes – a blob of nutella for a creamy chocolate center, chocolate chips, fruit etc.
Today I baked these for a class presentation (we have to bring a snack to be graded on, no I’m not in culinary school). Mixed 1/4 cup chocolate chips into the batter. Baked them in my mini muffin pan.
(Nigella Lawson’s recipe; taken from here)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup self-rising cake flour or self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking paper cups.
- Put all the ingredients except for the milk into a food processor and blend until smooth. You can also use a normal mixer.
- Pulse while adding the milk down the funnel to make for a soft consistency. (I use the full 3 Tablespoons) It doesn’t seem like enough batter, but it will all work out, scrape every bit from the bowl and try to fill each cup equally.
- Bake for 15-20 or until they are golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack, but remove from the tin as soon as possible.