Originally posted: Jan 2011
Was hankering for a nice afternoon tea snack and decided to make PW’s Yogurt Marmalade Cake. However, I wasn’t too keen on buying marmalade (food budgeting issues) so I decided to convert it to a lemon poppy seed cake. The loaf turned out nice and I decided against the glaze since it would probably be too sweet for my liking. My conclusion is a glaze would be nice though, except that you would have to do a lemon glaze (1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice). The loaf was rather lemony too, so all I had to do to convert it to a lemon poppy seed cake is add about 3 tablespoons of poppy seeds into the dry ingredients.
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
(adapted from PW’s recipe here)
- 1-1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 cup (heaping) Plain, Lowfat Yogurt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 whole Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 whole Zest Of Lemon
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick baking spray (or grease and flour it if it makes your skirt fly up).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add poppy seeds and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup of yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and canola oil until just combined. Pour over dry ingredients and mix until just combined; do not over beat.
- Pour into a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove from pan.