Originally posted: April 2008
I once made about 900+ of these cookies for a school funfair. They were given as Christmas gifts last year.
You can put these in a cookie press but I normally just roll them into balls.
Peanut Butter Cookies
(taken from here)
- 1 cup shortening (I used crisco)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Beat the shortening with the sugars and the peanut butter until well mixed. Beat in the egg and the water.
- Gradually beat in the flour, baking soda and salt. Form cookies on an ungreased baking sheet with a cookie press or roll into balls and smash flat with a floured fork or fingers.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 12 minutes or more until done, usually when the puffed up cookie has lowered down to level. Before then it is more chewy.
- For High Altitude, omit water and add eggs last, mixing well, but not beating them as at sea level. Raise the temperature to 390 degrees F (200 degrees C). Or use a convection oven at 312 degrees F (155 degrees C) for 15 min works even better.