Originally posted: Feb 2011
These babies are pretty, but not that tasty. I wasn’t expecting much in the taste department having read that these brownies are not big on the chocolate flavor. Nevertheless, I wanted to attempt them because of my love for red velvet. The recipe was easy to execute and if you aren’t serving to a very chocolate/brownie discerning crowd, you will be able to get away with it. Unfortunately, for me, this isn’t a keeper – unless you’re out more to impress in the looks department.
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
(taken from here)
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing baking pan
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (gel or powder)
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8×8 baking pan, set aside.
- Combine the melted butter with the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring and vinegar, in that order mixing between additions.
- Whisk eggs in a separate small bowl and combine with warm cocoa mix.
- Fold the flour into the chocolate batter and combine lightly. Reserve ¼ cup of batter for the top and set aside. Pour the remaining batter into the prepared baking pan.
- For the cream cheese layer, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread cream cheese layer on top of brownie batter in the pan. Dollop remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer.
- Using a skewer, toothpick or the sharp end of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl patter.
- Bake brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.