Originally posted: Nov 2010
This is a recipe I got off smitten kitchen. I love the fact we both have small kitchens and are still able to cook up a storm! That being said, I still would like a bigger kitchen in the future. I added fennel to the roast because I have tonnes of it in the fridge. Roasted fennel is delish! I’m not too crazy about the dressing, but it does complement the salad at the end of the day – adds a creamy element to it. I used a regular white onion (wasn’t willing to pay for just one red onion) and parsley because I’m nota fan (at all ) of cilantro. This salad is probably great for packed lunches…yum!
Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
(taken from Smitten Kitchen; click here for recipe)
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice (I skip this)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
For tahini dressing:
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced with a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, garlic, allspice, olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Toss the squash pieces until evenly coated. Roast them on a baking sheet for 25 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and lemon juice. Add the tahini, and whisk to blend. Add the water and olive oil, whisk well, and taste for seasoning. The sauce should have plenty of nutty tahini flavor, but also a little kick of lemon. You will probably need to add more water to thin it out.
- To assemble the salad, combine the squash, chickpeas, onion, and cilantro or parsley in a mixing bowl. Either add the tahini dressing to taste, and toss carefully, or you could serve the salad with the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.