I tried PW’s pancake recipe a few weeks ago – except I thought I could be smart and substitute cake flour with all-purpose. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do that for this recipe. The difference is like heaven and hell. I experienced heaven today – light, fluffy pancakes.
A few notes:
– If you are cooking for like 3-4 people, halve the recipe.
– Don’t overmix the batter.
– I let the batter sit and rest for about 10-15 minutes before cooking. This is a technique used in other pancake recipes I’ve seen.
PW’s Perfect Pancakes
(taken from here)
- 3 cups Plus 2 tablespoons Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 whole Large Eggs
- 3 teaspoons Vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- Extra Butter
- Maple Or Pancake Syrup
- Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix together milk, eggs, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring very gently until just combined.
- Melt butter and add it to the batter, stirring gently to combine.
- Cook on a greased skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown. Serve with an obscene amount of butter and warm syrup.