Yes, the recipe is quite outrageous when you think about the amount of fat and cream is in it. I tried to cut down a bit (halved the butter, used lighter cream, went easy on the cheese) and it was still yummy. I presume the real deal would be heavenly though.
Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes
(taken from here)
- 2 whole golden potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 piece (about 2 Inches long) Parmigiano-Reggiano, sliced thinly
- ⅛ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Scrub potatoes.
- You need 2 wooden spoons with handles of the same width. Place a spoon on each side of the potato and start slicing the potato into thin slices. The spoons will stop the knife from cutting all the way through the potato.
- Slice the butter into thin pieces. Alternate the butter and the parmesan, stuffing them in between the slices of the potato. Season the potato with garlic powder and kosher salt. Drizzle the potato with olive oil.
- Bake at 400ºF for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle heavy cream over the potatoes. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Place back in the oven for 10-12 more minutes. Remove and serve!