New years day and I was bored. I usually cook when I am bored and decided to whip up some chocolate cupcakes. Cupcake recipe – check, frosting recipe – no where to be found…crap! For some reason I couldn’t remember the exact measurements of my frosting recipe so I had a panicky moment searching online for a recipe that resembled the recipe I used. I found something similar (but not quite) and made some tweaks. Frosting turned out great…whew!
So now I am writing this down so I won’t have to scramble the next time round. To make vanilla buttercream, just don’t use the cocoa powder. If you want your vanilla buttercream to be a white white, use clear (unfortunately imitation) vanilla essence.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 pound (454g) icing/powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3-4 tablespoons milk (you might need more depending on the type of consistency you are looking for)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1. Sift powdered sugar, cocoa and salt together
2. Using a mixer (stand or hand) mix together all ingredients and add more milk, if necessary. Mix till combined and desired texture.